Benjamin L. Preston
Climate Change Science Institute & Environmental Sciences Division
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
PO Box 2008, MS-6301
Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6253
Phone: +1 865 574 6496
Dr. Benjamin L. Preston is a senior research scientist in Oak Ridge National Laboratory’s (ORNL) Environmental Sciences Division where he also acts as the Deputy Director of ORNL’s Climate Change Science Institute (CCSI) and the lead for CCSI’s Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerability Science research theme. Prior to joining ORNL, he held appointments with Australia’s CSIRO and the Pew Center on Global Climate Change in Washington, DC. Benjamin was a Coordinating Lead Author for Working Group II of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s Fifth Assessment Report, and he has contributed dozens of publications to the scientific literature on climate change impacts, adaptation and environmental assessment.
Institutional webpage: http://climatechangescience.ornl.gov/content/benjamin-l-preston
Personal adaptation blog: http://adaptationonline.blogspot.com
Adaptation Constraints and Limits
- Dow, K., Berkhout, F., Preston, B.L. (2013). Limits to adaptation to climate change: a risk management approach. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, 5(3-4), 384-391. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877343513000845
- Dow, K., Berkhout, F., Preston, B.L., Klein, R.J.T., Midgley, G., Shaw, R. (2013). Limits to adaptation. Nature Climate Change, 3, 305-307. http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/v3/n4/full/nclimate1847.html
- Preston, B.L., Dow, K., Berkhout, F. (2013). The climate adaptation frontier. Sustainability 5, 1011-1035; doi:10.3390/su5031011/. http://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/5/3/1011
- Klein, R., Midgley, G.F., Preston, B.L., et al. (2014). Adaptation Opportunities Constraints and Limits. Chapter 16, Contribution from Working Group II to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. http://ipcc-wg2.gov/AR5/images/uploads/WGIIAR5-Chap16_FGDall.pdf.
Coastal Risk and Adaptation
- Preston, B.L., Maloney, M.C., Thomsen, D., Smith, T., Mangoyana, R., and Conlon, B. (2012) A Multi Criteria Analysis of Coastal Adaptation Options for Local Government. Prepared for the Sydney Coastal Councils Group, Sydney. http://www.sydneycoastalcouncils.com.au/sites/default/files/MCA_of_Coastal_Adaptation_Options_for_Local_Government.pdf
- Maloney, M.C., and Preston, B.L. (2013) A geospatial dataset for U.S. hurricane storm surge and sea-level rise vulnerability: Development and case study applications. Climate Risk Management, 2, 26-41. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2212096314000060
Adaptation Planning and Evaluation
- Measham, T.G., Preston, B.L., Smith T.F., Brook C., Gorddard, R., Withycombe, G., Morrison, C. (2011). Adapting to climate change through local municipal planning: barriers and challenges. Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, DOI 10.1007/s11027-011-9301-2. http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2845181/masgc-adaptation-municipal-planning-pdf-june-1-2011-9-35-am-417k?da=y
- Preston, B.L., Westaway, R.M., Yuen, E.J. (2011) Climate adaptation planning in practice: an evaluation of adaptation plans from three developed nations. Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change 16(4):407−438. http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view.php?id=2396572&da=y.
Vulnerability/Risk Assessment and Adaptation
- Preston, B.L., and Stafford-Smith, M. (2009). Framing Vulnerability and Adaptive Capacity Assessment. CSIRO Climate Adaptation Flagship Working Paper, CSIRO, Aspendale and Canberra. http://www.csiro.au/files/files/ppgt.pdf.
- Preston, B.L., Yuen, E.J., Westaway, R.M. (2011). Putting vulnerability to climate change on the map: A critical look at approaches, benefits, and risks. Sustainability Science, DOI 10.1007/s11625-011-0129-1. http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view.php?id=2396572&da=y
- Jones, R.N. and Preston, B.L. (2011) Adaptation and risk management. WIREs Climate Change, DOI: 10.1002/wcc.97. http://wires.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WiresArticle/wisId-WCC97.html.
- Preston, B.L. (2012). Climate Change Vulnerability Assessment: From Conceptual Frameworks to Practical Heuristics. Climate Adaptation Flagship Working Paper. #16. http://www.csiro.au/~/media/CSIROau/Flagships/Climate%20Adaptation/Caf%20working%20paper%2016/CAF%20WP16%20Preston%202012%20FINAL.pdf.
- Birkmann, J., Cutter, S., Rothman, D.S., Welle, T., Garschagen, M., van Ruijven, B., O’Neill, B., Preston, B.L., Kienberger, S., Omar, B., Cardona, D., Siagian, T., Hidayati, D., Setiadi, N., Binder, C., Hughes, Pulwarty, R. (2013). Scenarios for vulnerability: Opportunities and constraints in the context of climate change and disaster risk. Climatic Change, http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10584-013-0913-2
- van Ruijven, B.J., Levy, M., Agrawal, A., Biermann, F., Birkmann, J., Carter, T.R., Ebi, K.L., Garschagen, M., Jones, B., Jones, R., Kemp-Benedict, E., Kok, M., Kok, K., Lemos, M.C., Lucas, P.L., Orlove, B., Pachauri, S., Parris, T., Patwardhan, A., Petersen, A., Preston, B.L., Ribot, J., Rothman, D.S., Schweizer, V.J. (2013). Enhancing the relevance of global shared socio-economic pathways for climate change impacts, vulnerability and adaptation research. Climatic Change, 3, 481-494. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10584-013-0931-0
- Preston, B.L. (2013) Local path dependence in socioeconomic exposure to climate extremes and the vulnerability commitment. Global Environmental Change, 23(4), 719-732. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2013.02.009.