Geographically, Guatemala is located in the Central American isthmus between the Pacific and Atlantic ocean, the usual route of the hurricanes and tropical storms of the Caribbean thus making it a direct target of extreme events, both from exacerbated El Nino and La Nina phenomenon which either cause extreme flooding or droughts and extreme temperature variations. Given the condition of high vulnerability of the country, climate change represents an additional and disproportionate burden. In order to move towards sustainable development, adequate planning and the adoption of measures in the economic, social and environmental fields are necessary.
In order to achieve resilience and sustainable development, the country has put in place measures with regard to adaptation and mitigation to climate change. The NAP presents the opportunity to guide the country’s actions on adaptation.
The general objective of the PANCC is to define, in a clear and orderly manner, the main actions and guidelines that government institutions and other sectors of the State must follow in order to contribute effectively to the reduction of vulnerability in which it is located. the majority of the national population, to expand the country’s adaptive capacity and reduce greenhouse gas emissions, given the threat of the effects of the phenomenon of climate change and climate variability.
The specific objectives of the PANCC (OE) are the following:
- The Plan to serve as an instrument to better guide the government and make decisions in general terms.
- Guide public institutions and other sectors of the State linked to the subject, regarding the actions to be implemented in the short, medium and long term.
- To guide the elaboration of the institutional strategic plans, defining the priorities in the sectorial, territorial and institutional planning.
- Define criteria for prioritizing public investment linked to the implementation of actions to reduce vulnerability and promote adaptation to the effects of climate change.
- Define priorities for international cooperation.
Guatemala NAP is written in Spanish and available for download in NAP Central.