Parallel Session 4.3: Technology and NAPs in coastal zones (CTCN)
Populations living in low lying coastal areas, and relying on vulnerable ecosystems for food and livelihoods, will bear the brunt of multiple climate change risks from storm surge, submergence, coastal flooding, and coastal erosion.
Addressing these risks require coherent and comprehensive approaches to climate change adaptation. While not every climate change problem requires a technological solution, available climate technologies can accelerate the implementation of adaptation actions in coastal zones.
This session will explore two examples of technologies developed through Technical Assistance projects implemented through the Climate Technology Centre and Network.
1. Mauritius – Port management for climate resilience
2. Antigua and Barbuda – Building better
- Demonstrate how climate technologies are being used to reduce coastal vulnerability and support in the planning and implementation of adaptation options
- Increase awareness and understanding of the participants on how CTCN can help countries in accelerating the development and/or implementation of NAPs
By the end of the session, participants will:
- Be able to describe how climate technologies can support data collection and use to enhance NAP planning and implementation in coastal zones;
- Know how to access CTCN support for climate technology development, transfer, deployment and dissemination; and
- Understand how to identify opportunities for the application of climate technologies in their own countries / circumstances.
- Introduction to the CTCN – Jaime Webbe, Regional Manager for Asia-Pacific, CTCN (10 min)
- Mauritius – Port management for climate resilience – Nazir Soobraty, Permanent Secretary, Department of Environment, Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development, Mauritius (15 min)
- Antigua and Barbuda – Building better – Ezra Christopher, Monitoring and Evaluation Consultant, Department of Environment, Ministry of Health and Environment, Antigua and Barbuda (15 min)
- Questions and answers (10 min)
- Group Learning – Lucius Egbert Louis, Managing Consultant, Engineering Construction and Management Consulting (Saint Lucia) (35 min)
- Questions and answers (5min)