Parallel Session 3.2: Adaptation and Development: Advancing climate-resilient development through alignment of country efforts under the 2030 Agenda, the Paris Agreement and the Sendai Framework (NAP Global Network, LEG)
There is increasing focus on the issue of alignment in international dialogues, including discussions under the UNFCCC and the UNISDR. Many countries recognize the value of aligning relevant policy processes rather than implementing them in isolation; however, they struggle to understand what alignment looks like in practice and how it can be achieved. This session will highlight the convergence of the three global agendas in relation to strengthening resilience, building adaptive capacity, and reducing vulnerability to climate change and disasters. It will explore how alignment of country level policy processes (e.g. NAPs, DRR strategies, national development plans) under these global agendas can help increase coherence, efficiency and effectiveness to advance climate-resilient development. Following a framing presentation, country case studies will be presented as a basis for discussion among participants.
- Increase understanding of the linkages between the Paris Agreement, the Sendai Framework and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development;
- Identify opportunities for alignment of country-level policy processes under these global agendas to promote climate-resilient development;
- Share perspectives, experiences and lessons learned on alignment, based on country examples.
At the end of the session, participants will:
- Better understand the linkages and areas of coherence between the Paris Agreement, the Sendai Framework and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development at the international scale;
- Understand the potential benefits and challenges associated with aligning country-level policy processes related to these agendas;
- Be aware of entry points and potential actions that countries can take to get started on aligning different policy processes towards climate-resilient development.
- Introductions Introduction to the session – NAP GN provides a quick overview and what we hope to learn from this session
- Icebreaker activity (10min) Icebreaker & Activity: What are we talking about?
- Paris Agreement
- DRR Strategies
- 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
- Sustainable Development Goals
- Nationally Determined Contribution
- National Adaptation Plan process
- Sendai Framework for DRR
- Input presentation (15min) Introduction to Alignment to Advance Climate-Resilient Development
This session will focus on alignment of country efforts under the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, the Paris Agreement and the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction. It will explore how countries can get started on aligning different policy processes by defining alignment objectives and identifying entry points.
- Case study 1 Kenya (Thomas Lerenten – Climate Change Directorate Kenya)
- Case Study 2
- Colombia (tbc)
- Activity: Risks and opportunities of alignment
- Risks and opportunities of alignment: Split into 2 groups – 1 group brainstorms potential value and advantages of alignment and 2nd group brainstorms risk of alignment:
- Short discussion – summarize results
- Activity: Mapping your country along the alignment continuum
- Introduction of alignment continuum
- Short conversation among participants
- Closing remarks: Quick summary of the key points from the session.
Location: Room 309
Date: April 9, 2019
Time: 11:00 am - 12:30 pm